Friday, April 24, 2015

Unpopular opinion on reproduction

Like, ok, here's a seriously unpopular one that's hugely offensive. I don't think having your own biological children is a sacred right that you should be able to exercise at all costs. And by all costs I mean at the expense of poor women. I do not like paid surrogacy one bit and I don't think people's need to have biological offspring trumps concerns about exploitation. I read a comment somewhere that said something along the lines of, sometimes it's better to learn to live with your tragedy and not exploit vulnerable people in order to achieve your goals, and I absolutely agree. It weirds me out that we've elevated reproduction as a lifestyle to such a pedestal it's blasphemy to express any ambivalence towards assisted reproduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment